Laplace Maritime Lawyer

Don’t let an on-the-job injury impact your life more than it has to. Maritime workers are entitled to specific benefits under federal law, and a maritime lawyer in Laplace can help you obtain what’s rightfully yours.

Employees of any company should have the peace of mind that if they suffer a work-related injury, they will still be able to cover their household bills and care for their families.

Those who work in the maritime injury are unique in that they’ll seek their benefits through the Jones Act or the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA), rather than through the state’s workers comp program.

However, obtaining these benefits can be more of a challenge than you may be prepared to handle on your own, especially when you are still recuperating from your injuries. Fortunately, a Laplace maritime lawyer at the Law Office of Braud & Gallagher can help. We’ll work with you to file your claim under the appropriate act so you can continue to survive while you’re unable to earn a living.

How You’ll Provide for Your Family While Out of Work

Suffering a work-related injury as a maritime employee can keep you out of work and unable to earn a living. However, because maritime laws are federally regulated, these workers are not entitled to workers compensation benefits through the state.

Instead, injured maritime employees can file a claim under the Jones Act or the LHWCA. The table provided below describes the various benefits that each act affords to certain maritime workers.

Jones Act Longshore and Harbor Workers’
Compensation Act
Maintenance, which includes:

  • Mortgage/rent
  • Utility bills
  • Groceries
  • Other necessary living expenses
Disability benefits: 66 ⅔ percent of your average weekly salary
Cure, which includes medical expenses, equipment, and installation fees Vocational training and/or education
Personal injury damages, which include:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of income and earning potential
  • Loss of consortium
  • Death benefits for surviving family members
  • Medical treatment and care

Which Maritime Law Does Your Claim Fall Under?

The type of maritime employee you are will determine whether you’ll collect benefits through a LHWCA or Jones Act claim. Workers who are considered to be seamen will qualify for benefits under the Jones Act. Seamen are those who work on “navigable waters.” Workers who spend a minimum of 30 percent of their time doing maritime work on a vessel that is capable of moving and in operation will generally fall under this category.

Every other type of employee, whether it be longshoremen, shipyard workers, or harbor workers, will file a claim for benefits under the LHWCA. If you have further questions about which act you’ll pursue a claim under or whether you’re better served to file a personal injury claim in Laplace, you can speak with your attorney for more information.

Let Us Begin Working for You Today

In the wake of a devastating work injury, you shouldn’t need to worry about supporting yourself or your family financially. As a maritime employee, you are entitled to benefits through the Jones Act or the LHWCA.

A Laplace maritime lawyer at the Law Office of Braud & Gallagher can help you file your claim or appeal a denial so you can begin collecting the benefits that you are entitled to. Schedule your free consultation today when you call our office at 1-800-256-5674 or fill out the quick contact form below.